The vast majority of you are now hip to the health benefits of eating a diet that is mainly grain-free, high protein, low-sugar, and high in healthy fats. Here we highlight our top 5 favorite breakfast ideas. None of these ideas take too much time in the morning, so get up and go! Eating healthy should be fun, exciting, and yummy, so here we go:
1. Beef up your omelet with your favorite veggies such as bell peppers, onions, mushrooms, or spinach. (Tomatoes release quite a bit of water so if adding them, wait until the end to avoid soggy eggs..unless
that’s your thing!) Use pasture-raised organic eggs as they are the safest and tastiest. Add a couple of slices of turkey bacon on the side and dig in!
2. Gluten free toast topped with nut butter. We LOVE Sprouted For Life Bread. Many of us are working on gut dysbiosis and are also leaving out the rice. Sprouted for Life bread is made from chia, millet, and quinoa. It is easily the best GF bread on the market. You can find it at Whole Foods in the
frozen GF section.
3. GF Cereal, hot or cold, topped with a bit of fruit and almonds or nuts. Made from chia, hemp, and buckwheat seeds,Qi’a is a tasty brand and their breakfast cereals are packed with protein, fiber, and Omega 3’s. Top with unsweetened coconut milk or almond milk and maybe some fresh berries for a fun start to your morning. Click here to learn more about their products!
4. Hard boiled eggs are also a great way to start your day (Again, pasture-raised). Top with a bit of extra virgin olive oil and some sea salt and eat with a couple slices of avocado & tomato. Add a slice of GF toast for a totally balanced and nourishing meal!
5. Smoked salmon (specifically wild-caught) is another nutrient rich breakfast food that can be eaten on GF toast, alongside your eggs, or accompanied by some veggies. It’s never too early for a veggie stir fry. Throw some broccoli, brussel sprouts, beets, and onions in the pan with a tablespoon of extra virgin olive oil and sea salt to taste, and BOOM! Nutritious & Delicious!
Eating this way will give you the perfect start to your day and keep you full until lunch. Make sure to keep protein rich snacks around in case your belly starts to rumble before lunch (i.e. nuts, seeds, Standard Process Protein bars – sold here at The Spring)
Keep it simple. Plan a little. Eat real food.
Written by Laura Bautista, Patient Advocate & Health Coach